Since its inception, SEO has always been mired in controversies, lies and obfuscation by many parties with vested interests. So any news related to SEO coming form the horse’s mouth (Google/Bing) shed light on many aspects of SEO and makes life easier and less confusing for webmaster and SEO consultants alike. Bing also posted 18 things you need to know about SEO for our benefit. Here is the list
1) Crawlability: Make sure your site is accessible to search engines or else your site won’t be ranked. As simple as that! A no brainer but still many webmasters flunk on this first point. Use XML sitemaps and search friendly URL structure.
2) Site Structure: Your site should be functional with both inbound links and outbound links from and to quality sites with good content.
3) Content Hierarchy: Create content which users are searching for. Keyword research can help you find that out. Avoid putting content and links inside rich media applications like Flash & Silverlight or images since search engines can’t read the content embedded in them.
4) On-Page Factors: Effective use of Title, meta description tags. Include keywords in them. Apart from this, rather than wasting too much time on various minor points, try creating great content.
5) Content Production: Create great content which satisfy users search. Thin content approach won’t benefit you and get you in to trouble.
6) Link building: Use keywords as anchor text to increase the relevancy of the link. Use social networking icons to increase sharing. Stay away from paid link services.