A recent study has found that young American adults are heavy users of text messages. The findings have revealed that Cell owners between the ages of 18 and 24 exchange an average of 109.5 messages on a normal day.
The other significant findings were:
1) About 83% of American adults have a cell phone.
2) 73% of these cell phone owners send or receive text messages.
3) 31% users said they preferred texts over talking on the phone
4) A majority – 53% – preferred a voice call to a text message
5) Text messaging users send or receive an average of 41.5 text messages on a typical day.
These results come from a nationally representative phone survey of 2,277 adults ages 18 and older conducted from April 26-May 22, 2011, including 755 cell phone interviews. The margin of error for the whole survey is +/-2.3 percentage points, while the margin of error for cell phone users is +/-2.7 percentage points.